Belly dance, also known as Oriental dance, is a captivating art form that originated in the Middle East and has gained popularity worldwide. It is not only a mesmerizing dance style but also characterized by its vibrant and ornate costumes. The belly dance costume plays an essential role in enhancing the beauty, grace, and sensuality of the dancer, while also reflecting the rich cultural heritage of the dance.
In this captivating dance video, set against the breathtaking backdrop of the sea, you’ll witness the beauty of well-thought-out belly dance costumes in all their glory. Adorned with intricate beadwork, shimmering coins, and flowing fabrics, these costumes perfectly accentuate the graceful movements of the dancers, creating a truly magical experience.
- One-of-a-kind Candlelit Belly Dance by Alia Mohamed
- Belly Dance Meets Samba in Stunning Video by Sadie and Luciana
- The Relationship Between Music and Belly Dance Performance
Let’s explore the basic elements that make up a belly dance costume.
- Bedlah: The centerpiece of a belly dance costume is the bedlah, which translates to “suit” in Arabic. It consists of a fitted bra top and a matching belt or skirt. The bra top typically features intricate beadwork, sequins, coins, or embroidery, and is designed to accentuate the dancer’s curves. The belt or skirt is often decorated in a similar fashion and is worn around the hips, highlighting the movements of the torso.
- Hip Scarf: A hip scarf, also known as a coin belt or a hip wrap, is an integral part of the costume. It is a wide, decorative belt worn over the bedlah. The scarf is adorned with rows of metal coins, beads, or shells that jingle and create a delightful sound as the dancer moves. The hip scarf emphasizes the hip movements and adds flair to the overall performance. Check out this article to find best belly dance hip scarves on the market.
- Skirt or Harem Pants: Depending on the style of belly dance, a dancer may wear a skirt or harem pants as part of her costume. A skirt can be long or short, flowing or form-fitting, and is often made of lightweight fabric with multiple layers for graceful movement. Harem pants, on the other hand, are loose-fitting trousers that gather at the ankle. They allow for fluid leg movements and offer a more modest option for dancers who prefer extra coverage.
- Veil: The veil is an enchanting accessory that adds an air of mystery to the performance. It is a large, rectangular piece of sheer fabric, typically made of silk or chiffon, and is skillfully manipulated by the dancer. The veil is used to frame the body, create mesmerizing visual effects, and accentuate the gracefulness of the dancer’s movements.
- Accessories: Belly dance costumes often feature a variety of accessories that enhance the overall look. These can include arm cuffs, wristbands, headpieces, earrings, necklaces, and finger cymbals, also known as zills. These accessories are usually embellished with beads, gemstones, coins, or intricate metalwork to complement the costume and add sparkle to the dancer’s performance.
- Footwear: Footwear choices in belly dance may vary depending on personal preference and style. Some dancers perform barefoot, allowing for a better connection with the ground and more flexibility in foot movements. Others may opt for soft-soled dance shoes or ballet slippers, which provide additional support and protection.
It’s important to note that belly dance costumes can vary greatly depending on the regional and cultural influences. Styles such as Egyptian, Turkish, Lebanese, and American Tribal Style (ATS) have their own unique characteristics and costume variations.
Belly dance costumes not only serve as a visual feast for the audience but also allow the dancer to express herself, celebrate her femininity, and embody the artistry of the dance form. With their intricate designs, shimmering embellishments, and flowing fabrics, these costumes are an integral part of the belly dance experience, reflecting the beauty and diversity of this captivating dance style.
If you enjoyed our today’s video, you are more than welcome to share it with your friends and let them know what you think about it. Also, consider checking out our most recent posts and stay in touch. Cheers!